Time Management is important for any business owner – but even more so for mompreneurs. Not only do we have to think about our business, but usually also our family, the household, parents, neighbors, friends etc. That’s why it’s important for us to use our time wisely.
Many mompreneurs have a problem with time management. This is what it often looks like:
- scrambling from place to place; always in a reactive mode
- forgetting client calls and/or appointments
- never being there for their children’s baseball game or putting them to bed
You must find a system that works for you so that you don’t
- disappoint your clients
- break your kids’ hearts
- let yourself down.
Time Management Spectrum
I think many mompreneurs struggle with time management because they’ve always tried the same way to schedule or plan. There is not, however, a one size fits all approach to time management. Some people love to plan – and they plan every minute of every day. Others detest planning and resist it at all costs. I believe there is a time management spectrum.
On the left, are those who do no planning, have no system at all.
On the right are those who love planning and have rigid systems and schedules.
And in the middle there are so many variations.
While there are many solutions, it really takes understanding how you work best in order to choose the best system for you.
Here are the three questions to ask yourself when finding your place on the time management spectrum:
1. Are you a no planner, or a rigid planner? If not, which side are you closer to?
2. What system have you tried in the past? Which side is it closer to?
3. Where on the spectrum would it feel good to try this time?
Once you’ve answered these questions, you will want to try and find a time management system that matches your place on the spectrum.
Where do you fit on the spectrum? I would love to know.