Whenever the cherry blossoms start to bloom and the weather starts to warm up – I am always in the mood to spruce up my house, inside and out. Brighter curtains and pillows and planting flowers. It’s also a great time to clean and spruce up your business. From files to passwords, there’s a lot to do.
Here’s my list to get you started on Spring Cleaning For Your Business:
- Files – this one is big, but if you break it up, it’s not so overwhelming. If you’re like me – I tend to keep every version of blog posts, images, social media posts, reports, etc. There’s no need to keep so many versions – only 1-2. I try to do a certain number of files per week in my admin time block (for information on my time block method sign up for my free optin here).
- Folder Names – if you see that some of your digital file folders are getting too large (and hard to find stuff) it may be time to break them up. Maybe you had a “social media” folder – you may want to break it up into components – Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc. It will make finding docs more manageable. This task may be an easy one to delegate to a VA – just be sure to give clear instructions.
- Passwords – experts recommend that you change your passwords often – so this is a great time to do it! Even if you use a Password Manager – this may be a good time to change your Global Password. With all the security breahces, it doesn’t hurt. I also change my social media passwords, email, and WordPress website passwords, etc. And if you haven’t done sot, I recommend enabling two-factor authentication where you can. While it can be a pain at times (an extra step) it offers a higher level of protection against hackers. (And cleaning up after a hack is even more work.)
- Profiles – I don’t know about you, but I often change or update my services, but rarely do I update across all my profiles. Make a list – Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc and updated your copy. Continuity across platforms helps to create a cohesive brand.
- Graphics/Images – Whether you have a Facebook Cover Photo or a Twitter photo – it’s a nice time to freshen up your social media profile graphics. In addition, the sizes for all of the social media graphics change often – so it’s a great time to ensure that your images are the proper size.
- Finances – Maybe you had great intentions to keep up with your expenses, Quickbooks, invoicing – whatever you use. Maybe time to get everything o track and review your income and expenses. See if you’re on track or if you need to make some adjustments (sell more products/services, spend less, etc.).
- Software – are you using all the software that you’re paying for? Review them all – and cancel if you’re not. It’ll help free up some money. You may also find that you may need to upgrade your software, or find a new vendor.
- Facebook – Not everyone may have this issue, but I usually have tons of items in the “Saved” folder. I do try to go through and delete – but I’m not always good about it. So spring is a good time to clean up the items I’ve watched and read.
There’s my list to get you started getting your business cleaned up – which in turns helps with your business efficiency.
Do you struggle to create a schedule that works for your business and family?
Sign up for my free Complete Time Block Guide for Mom Entrepreneurs!